Finding fresh store bought buns that actually taste good is even harder. So, skip the hassle of going to the store and digging through plastic bags full of demi-food. With only a little bit of active time you can easily make them yourself instead. Not only will they be super fresh (still warm from the oven, anyone?), but the taste is amazing too. Nom nom.
This recipe makes 8 buns and they rarely last in our house more than a few hours. The Mr. and Little Miss like to eat them spread with a little butter or with cheese and sliced meat for a sandwich.
Homemade Hamburger (or Hotdog) Buns
Combine water, butter, egg, flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in the pan of your bread machine. Run on the dough cycle.
Once the dough cycle is done, flour a work area. Put the dough there and let it rest while you clean and put away the bread machine.
Now pat it out into a rectangle.
Slice it into 8 fairly even pieces with a sharp knife. A pizza cutter would probably work too.
Roll each strip into a ball, tucking the ends under. If making hotdog buns shape into a log. Put on your lined baking sheet. I use a Silpat.
Lightly spread flour on the tops.
Cover loosely. If you cover them tightly the buns won’t rise as well and the cover tends to stick a bit causing them to deflate when you remove the cover. Don’t deflate your buns. 😆
Let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled. Sometimes when I don’t plan things out very well they only get 30 minutes to rise and still turn out fine. However, the longer rise time is much better.
Beat together 1 egg and milk. Brush the tops with the egg wash. Sprinkle with seeds, seasonings, etc. if desired.
Bake in the oven until golden brown.
Cut just before dishing up and enjoy the fresh, great tasting rolls you made yourself.
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs milk
- Place dough ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order specified by the manufacturer. Run the dough cycle.
- Flour a work area. Remove dough from bread machine and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Pat dough into a rectangle, approximately 1/4" thick.
- Cut dough into 8 strips.
- Roll strips into balls, tucking edges underneath. Place onto lined baking sheet.
- Flour the tops of the buns and cover very loosely. Set aside to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Beat together egg and milk. Brush onto buns.
- Bake for 17 minutes or until golden brown.
Adapted from : http://allrecipes.com/recipe/233652/homemade-hamburger-buns/